Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) is a strategic imperative. CNA’s D&I Vision is to cultivate an inclusive culture that celebrates individuals’ differences, attracts diverse talent, and inspires a work environment that enables all employees to do their best work.
To act on its D&I Vision, the company seeks to bring together senior leaders, D&I subject matter experts and a diverse spectrum of colleagues across the company’s global network. Its strategy is created and executed by the senior leaders that comprise the D&I Council and the employees that lead the employee resource groups. This structure facilitates D&I thought leadership and employee perspectives. Critical components of its D&I Vision include:
• Skill building. In 2021, we launched a new D&I learning program aimed to build allyship across the global enterprise. It includes various forms of allyship training and education for our employees – providing them with opportunities to learn and practice new skills.
• Leadership training. CNA requires every people leader and officer to complete inclusive leadership training. We also provide additional networking and learning opportunities for leaders to support the critical role they play in creating an inclusive workplace culture.
• Talent development. In 2021, we launched a new talent sponsorship program that seeks to accelerate the development of high performing diverse employees, diversify our leadership ranks, and broadly build inclusive leadership skills.
• Representation. We regularly monitor our representation of diverse talent and review our trends in relation to both the labor market generally and industry-specific competitors. We seek to increase diversity throughout our organization.
• Partnerships. CNA has a commitment to certain organizations whose D&I objectives align with our own. In 2021, through these partnerships, we delivered training opportunities to employees, uncovered new sources of future talent, contributed to the development of college students from underserved communities, and encouraged our employees to be an ally in their communities through volunteering.